Christmas comes but once a year, and it’s the season for merry baking as well. Starting the season with some home made almond cookies ! These cookies are made with a combination of whole wheat flour and unbleached all purpose flour. It’s also packed with the goodness of homemade almond butter ! My LO wanted whale shaped cookies, so we used a cookie cutter and he helped me shape them ! That’s why you see a variety of shapes in the picture 🙂
Makes around 40 cookies
- 1 1/2 + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 + 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectionary sugar
- A few drops vanilla essence (Optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the butter outside for 15-20 minutes so that it reaches a room temperature. The butter should not melt, we just want it to reach a room temperature so that it blends well with the batter
- I used two cookie trays and baked the cookies all at once (Detailed instructions follow in the steps below). You can bake one sheet at a time or use 2 cookie sheets. Line the cookie tray (or 2 cookie trays) with parchment paper, grease it with butter and dust it with a little flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat sugar and butter until frothy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to prevent any sugar remaining in the bowl which is not incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients – both the flours, salt and cardamom powder and mix well until the dough starts to come together . At this stage, use a folding in movement, i.e. mix well in one direction so that there are no air bubbles formed
- Add the almond butter and mix well
- At this stage if you find the cookie dough is too dry to shape into cookies, then add an additional tbsp of melted butter
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes
- Take the dough and press and flatten the dough with your hands to smooth and even out the dough. If the dough appears tough, you can knead the dough again in your food processor or stand mixer, until smooth
- Shape the cookie into any desired shape using a cookie cutter or shape it into flat round shape using your hand. My LO wanted a whale shaped cookies, so we used a cookie cutter and he helped me shape them !
- When using 2 cookie sheets, position a rack in the upper and lower thirds of the oven (assuming a regular, non-convection oven). Place one cookie tray in the upper rack and place the second cookie tray after 5 minutes. Rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back after around 10 minutes. Check the cookies on both the sheets after 15-20 minutes
- Allow the cookies to cool on a cooling rack for a sufficient time
- Once cooled store in an air tight containerv
Enjoy 🙂 , it’s the season to be Happy, Pha la la, la la la !