This is a 2 minute cranberry pickle recipe that goes really well with dosas. This is my aunt Banu Chithi’s recipe.
- Cranberry – 12 oz, approx 3 cups ( We get convenient 12 oz packet in the stores )
- Red chilly powder – 6 tsp
- Salt – 5 tsp approx.
- Gingelly oil – 1/4 cup
- Asafetida – 1 tsp
- Roasted and powdered fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
Note: Please adjust the spice and salt according to your taste and according to the sourness in the cranberries as well. We prefer medium spice in food, so I only added 6 tsp of red chilli powder
- Wash the cranberries well. Drain and keep aside
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the cranberries, red chilly powder, salt. Mix well and keep the pan covered for 2-3 minutes until all the cranberries splutter
- It may be hard to believe but in 2-3 minutes the cranberries will be well cooked and mashed to a pickle consistency. Mix well and mash if needed. At this stage, also test for spice and salt and adjust if necessary.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds and dry grind to a fine powder
- Add the fenugreek powder and a pinch of asafetida to the pickle and mix well. Keep aside for cooling
Transfer to a air tight container and enjoy with your Dosa 😊 or rice 😊