My next Sundal for Navratri is Chick pea ( Kabuli Chana ) Sundal. The procedure is almost similar to the rajma sundal. If you have raw mangoes, you can add them to this sundal to enhance the taste.
- Chick peas – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 cm piece
- Green chillies, 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves , a few
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida- a pinch
- Salt, to taste
- Oil for tempering
- Wash the chick peas well and soak it overnight in plenty of water
- Drain the water, wash well and cook the chick peas in a pressure cooker adding enough water to submerge the chick peas (approx 1 cup water). Cook for 3-4 whistles. Keep aside.
- Chop the green chillies and ginger into fine pieces
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add the Urad dal, curry leaves and sauté for few minutes. Add the asafetida, ginger and green chillies and sauté for few more minutes
- Add the tempering, turmeric, and salt to the cooked chick peas and sauté on slow flame for few minutes. Add the grated coconut and remove from fire
Serve hot and enjoy 😊
Variation: If you have raw mango, then it will enhance the taste of this sundal. If you use raw mango, chop into fine pieces and cook for few minutes till it is semi soft. Don’t over cook it, as we need it to be a little dry in the sundal. Add the raw mango pieces when you add the chick peas and sauté for sometime.