This is one of my very first experiments with using wheat bran for baking. These biscuits are a healthy snack and taste like granola bars.
- 1 1/4 cup coarsely ground almonds (Coarsely ground so that some chunks of almonds are part of the biscuit when you eat it)
- 1 cup finely powdered oats
- 1 cup wheat bran (The wheat bran that I used had a coarsely powdered texture)
- A dash of sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup caramel syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- Mix the olive oil, caramel syrup and vanilla essence using a stand mixer or blender
- Mix the finely ground almonds, finely ground oats, wheat bran using a fold in movement, i.e. mix well in one direction so that there are no air bubbles formed and the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed
- Grease the cookie plate with butter at the bottom and sides. Cut out parchment paper to fit the base of the plate, and grease it after putting it in the tin. Lightly dredge the plate with flour, turning the plate so that a light film of flour coats the entire inside of the plate. Turn the plate upside down, tap gently to remove excess flour.
- Note: If you do not have parchment paper, then you can dust the plate with the flour until a light film of flour coats the inside of the plate
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes
- Scoop out the batter on the cookie plate using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop. Each scoop of batter only needs to be as wide as a coin. The biscuit will spread out well while baking and get the desired shape. Also give sufficient space between each biscuit mould so that they don’t stick to one another
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the other side. After that, invert the biscuit and bake the other side for 2-3 minutes
- Before you attempt to take the biscuits out, give it sufficient cooling time
Enjoy the biscuit with some hot chai 🙂
Note: If you are a sweet lover, you can consider increasing the amount of caramel syrup as these biscuits only have a mild sweet taste.