This is is a recipe passed on to me by my mother in law. It is a very tasty payasam, and is very quick and easy to prepare.
- 1/8 cup chana dal
- 1/16 cup raw rice (You can use a combination of white rice and rose matta rice for enhanced taste)
- A few almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 3 big jaggery blocks
- 1/2 cup milk
To be roasted and ground:
- Dissolve the jaggery in water to make a thick paste. I used three big blocks of jaggery:
- Roast the chana dal and rice for few minutes till the dal turns slightly red and emits a nice aroma.
- First grind the rice,dal and almonds to a fine powder, and then add coconut and water to a make a fine paste. You can add sufficient water for the paste (around 1/2 cup).
- Boil the paste well, till it starts bubbling up. At this stage add the jaggery water and boil for a few minutes, till it reaches a nice and thick consistency
- If you like a thick payasam, then you can enjoy the payasam as it is, without adding milk. If not, you can enjoy the payasam by adding 1/2 cup milk before serving
For a more richer payasam, you can garnish with cashew nuts and raisins. You can also substitute cashew nuts for almonds and add a few poppy seeds in the grinding stage.
Sit back, enjoy and relish the payasam 🙂
My next recipe is “Drumstick Rasam”. Keep watching this space 🙂